domingo, 4 de junio de 2017

Origin of the neighbourhoods “La Trinidad” and “El Perchel”, Málaga

“La Trinidad” and “El Perchel” are two historic neighbourhoods in the Central District, City of Málaga. They are located on the right bank of the River Guadalmedina. These territories have been populated by different groups from indigenous population to Phoenicians, Romans, Arabs, Christians, etc. 

The historical life of "La Trinidad" and "El Perchel" has historically been determined by the proximity to the River Guadalmedina and the Mediterranean Sea.

With the arrival of the Phoenicians in Malaka (present-day Málaga, it was founded in the 8th century BC) and at different points near the river, the first contacts of the indigenous population with other civilizations began, possibly attracted by the development of a commercial activity. The Phoenicians, from the city of Tyre (southern Lebanon), introduced olive oil, metal smelting, coin minting, the alphabet, the making of coloured glassware, the ceramics industry, the woolen fabrics and the salted fish.

The name "El Perchel" comes from this ancient fish industry. The fish was hung with a  “percha” or “perchel” (hanger), in a secluded area of the old city to avoid to the residents the annoyances of the bad smells. It was the first industrial district located outside the city during the period of the Arabs.

La Trinidad, as a neighbourhood, has its origin in the same place where Queen Elizabeth “The Catholic” settled her camp during the period of the reconquest of Málaga (the second most important city of the Nazarí kingdom), between May and August of 1487.

After winning the fight a hermitage was erected, but it was destroyed by an earthquake, and it was erected the convent of the religious order of the Trinitarians later in its foundations, whose main charism was centered on the care of the captives.

Liberation of the captives of Málaga by the Catholic Monarchs, by José Moreno Carbonero. 1930. (Museum of Málaga).

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario